Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My maiden foray into stocks investment......

I started investing in the Singapore stocks market during late June 2008. That was the time when I had already started working as a full-time tutor not so long ago back in January 2008.

There were two factors that prompted me to start off my stocks investment journey. The first motivating factor was to grow my exisiting income and savings. I noticed that as a full-time tutor, I had no CPF contributions and in order to grow my savings for retirement or emergency use, I had to either put my savings with a bank savings account or a unit trust fund (hopefully to grow my savings). I considered these two options carefully and based on my experience with bank savings account (which has returns less than 1% per annum) and my unit trust funds (which suffered a paper loss during June 2008 due to the financial crisis), I decided against putting savings into these two instruments. A bank savings account offers liquidity for parking cash which is needed for short-term use and it is no more than this. One shouldn't hope to gain much returns from putting cash in savings account. The mearge returns is just not enough to even fight inflation which erodes the value of money over time.

Unit trust funds maybe good for long term investment, however I think there are far better investing instruments than unit trust funds. I shall discuss more on my experience with investing in unit trust funds on a later post (which I am quite dissapointed with and has now largely divested all my money out of unit trust funds). The second motivating factor that prompted me to start my investing journey into stocks is also because the unit trust funds I have invested in have all made paper losses during June 2008. Thinking that I maybe able to do better in stocks than unit trust funds, I made my first foray into stocks investment in late June 2008.

I shall discuss more about my exciting experiences into the stocks market which has intrigued me all along and even until now in my further post. In a nutshell, stocks investing so far has been very eventful and exciting for me. I never regretted the move into stocks investment, and until now my experiences with stocks investing still lingers on and never fails to fascinate me even at current moment........Keep in tune for further post on my stocks investing journey.......It all begins here......

The dynamics of the stock market is so fascinating. Investing is an endless topic where the learning always continues. 

2 comments:

Post a Comment